Grade XI NEB Syllabus – Introduction to Education Syllabus
Introduction to Education Syllabus course is the foundation of education for the teachers at the Lower Secondary Level.
Disclaimer: This is the old syllabus of NEB.For 2076 Upadted syllabus with PDF download option,visit: NEB 2076 Updated Syllabus
Introduction to Education Syllabus
Full marks: 5o
Pass marks: 18
Teaching Hours: 75
Nature of subject-T
Introduction to Education Syllabus course is the foundation of education for the teachers at the Lower Secondary Level. It is designed for the purpose of imparting basic understanding and developing several important aspects such as the educational background and its development. The course intends to impart meaning, general views, functions of education, as well as education as a system. It also intends to give general knowledge about prominent educationists, curriculum, educational administration, modern Trends in education, guidance and counseling and education aspects in Nepal.
II. General objectives:
The course Introduction to Education Syllabus aims at providing basic ground to:
1. generalize evolution of education;
2. elaborate the meaning, nature, aims and functions of education;
3. find out interrelated factors involved in an education system;
4. trace out the contributions of prominent educationists;
5. specify meaning, importance and elements of curriculum; 6. elaborate education for development indifferent aspects;
7. identify concepts, scope and importance of education:
8. elaborate concepts and importance of guidance and counselling; 9. specify the trends of education and educational administration and
10. relate the historical perspectives of education in Nepal.
III. Specific objectives
On completion of the Introduction to Education Syllabus course, the student will be able to:
1. describe evolution of education;
2. define education from etymological, narrower and boarder point of view;
3. elaborate individual and social aims of education;
4. describe the cultural economic, civic and global functions of education; 5. specify the meaning, inputs, process and outputs of an education system;
6. clarify the role of feedback in an education system:
7. assess a short biography of some prominent educationists;
8. elaborate meaning and importance of curriculum:
9. describe the elements of the curriculum;
10. clarify social policy in education;
11. explain education from the viewpoint of national integration, rural development as well as human resource development;
12. specify meaning, scope and importance of educational administration and supervision;
13. describe the concept and importance of guidance and counseling:
14. trace out the trends of education;
15. specify the life long education and open leaming;
16. specify social justice in education; 17. conclude EFA:
18. summarize child rights in education;
19. describe present education system of Nepal;
20. describe overview of educational administration and supervision:
21. assess the historical perspectives of education in Nepal, and
22. mention the role and responsibilities of different agencies related to school education.
THs 75 Unit 1: Concept and Functions of Education 15
a. Meaning of Education
§ Etymological meaning of education
Narrow meaning of education
§ The broader meaning of education
b. Evolution ofEducation in brief.
c. Functions of Education
• Cultural function
• Economic function
• Functions of education in the Nepalese context
d. Nature of Education
• General and specific
• Direct and indirect
• Individual and collective
e. Types/Forms of Education
f. Aims of Education
• Individual aim of education
• The social aim of education
Unit-2: Education as a System
• Meaning of an education system
• Inputs, processes, and outputs of an educational system
• Role of feedback in an education system
Unit-3: Introduction to Curriculum
§ Meaning of curriculum
Importance of curriculum
§ Elements of curriculum
Unit-4: Prominent Educationists
A brief biography and the educational concepts of
– Jean Jacques Rousseau
– John Dewey,
– Frederic August Froebel
– Maria Montessori
– Mohan Das Karamchand Gandhi
– Gautam Buddha
– Jaya Ptithivi Bahadur Singh
Unit5: Education and Development
Concept of education and development
Social policy in education.
– Education for national integration
– Education and rural development
– Education for human resource development.
Unit 6: Guidance and counseling
§ Concept of guidance and counseling
§ Importance of guidance and counseling in a school system.
Unit 7: Modern Trends/Approaches in Education
• Modern trends in education
– Life-long education.
– Open leaming
• Social justice in education
– Education for All
– Inclusive education
– Child rights
Unit-8 Education in Nepal 15
• Pre-democratic periods
(Indigenous, Negligence and Opposition)
• Post-democratic period (development of education 2007-onward.)
National goals and structure of the present education system
Overview of the present school administration and supervision of Nepal.
• Teaching License
• Role of different agencies related to the school system.
NEB, FOE, DEO, DOE, PTA, VEC.
V. Instructional procedures
The methods of instruction will mostly comprise of lecture, exploration, demonstration, discussion, library-work, self-study, self-work and question-answer techniques.
VI. Assessment procedures-
Assessment of student achievement in this course will be made on the basis of performance through class test at least two times and home assignment.
Questionwisc marks distribution
2 long answer- questions =2x 10=20marks
• 6 short answer- questions =6×5=30 marks
1. Shrestha, Sharan Hari, Instructional to Education, S.K. Prakashan, Ktm
2. Shrestha Chandra Bahadur et.al .. introduction to Education-XIl Bhundipuran Prakashan, Ktm